Delisha Milton Jones was one of 4 double figure scorers for the Silver Stars in their one point victory
Photo courtesy of Nathaniel S. Butler (NBAE/Getty Images)
This game was nuts. There are no words to describe the game that was played. It was for the most part, a very boring afternoon affair until the OT period happened. And then, some how, some way the Silver Stars ended up with a win and left NJ for the last time.
The official game story is actually written very nicely and has some great post game quotes from both teams. Click here to read it.
The game story written by me is written below.
Newark (June 23, 2013)
The Silver Stars and the New York Liberty meet with both teams going in different directions. San Antonio was win less in their three road games and the Liberty were perfect at home in 4 games played at the Prudential Center. But, it was the San Antonio Silver Stars who came away victorious. The Silver Stars were still without Jayne Appel, who is listed as day to day. The Silver Stars struck early and were up 15-4 before the New York Liberty came storming back and the Silver Stars were able to hang out in front and were ahead of the first quarter by seven points 25 – 18. In the second quarter, the Silver Stars struggled offensively but the Liberty were not much better and the Silver Stars had a 2 point lead at half time 34-32. In the third quarter, both teams still struggled but there was not much separation from either team as the Stars still stayed in front 49 – 48. In the fourth quarter, both teams were able to score but the Silver Stars were able to pull away with their biggest lead at 63- 55 before the New York Liberty came back thanks in part to Leilani Mitchell and Plenette Pierson. From there out, both teams exchanged the final dagger in the last 2 minutes, however neither were able to pull it out and the game went into overtime. The overtime period resulted in both teams making plays, but just like in the fourth quarter, they couldn’t pull away. In the final 36 seconds, neither team took a timeout and Shenise Johnson put the Silver Stars ahead for good as the Liberty couldn’t get the shot that they wanted, nor did any shot off their rebounds went in. The Silver Stars won the game by a final score of 78-77. Danielle Robinson was the Silver Stars leading scorer with 18 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists. The Liberty were lead by Cappie Pondexter who finished with 21 points, 11 rebounds and 6 assists.
TIDBITS AND NOTES FROM THE GAME
– Danielle Robinson continues to play well in her third season. She has really progressed from her last two seasons and looks primed and ready to be the Silver Stars future point guard
– That was one heck of an OT period. I could barely understand it, as LiveAccess is 2-3 minutes behind the official box score, so I had to literally look at the box score to see what was happening, and then watch it on LiveAccess. That was brutal, especially in a game like this where you have no clue who will win the game.
– The Silver Stars, for the most part, defended Cappie well. Cappie missed some easy shots at the rim, but the Stars made sure to stay in front of her and made her take some bad shots. They also defended the last possession of the game as well as OT nicely and never gave Cappie much room to operate
– The Silver Stars couldn’t defend the interior pick and roll as Plenette Pierson was able to make them pay.
– The Danielle Adams vs Kelsey Bone matchup was fun to watch. Neither really was able to make one another pay, such as Danielle would score, then Kelsey would score, or Danielle would get a TO, so would Kelsey etc.
– Despite shooting 38.5 from the field, 25% from three, and getting out rebounded the Silver Stars WON. They also shot 42% from the line. This is one of those wins, where you just don’t understand how they won, but still did.
Becky Hammon was quoted in the AP game recap in which she said still had about 10 more days to go before she could come back. Also, Becky was at the game
– Despite being re inserted in the lineup, Shameka struggled again.
– It was nice to see Delisha Milton Jones being rewarded for working hard and trying her best to help Silver Stars win games with a stat line of 15 points and 5 rebounds.
– If Leilani Mitchell didn’t play this game, this game wouldn’t have been close. She was the one, along with Plennette who was able to either score, assist which made Cappie’s life a whole lot easier to score than to lead the offense.
– The Silver Stars improve to 3-5 on the season and their next game is on Tuesday against the Phoenix Mercury which will also be a nationally televised game. YAY for ESPN2. It’s also the Stars only appearance.