Game #14 San Antonio Silver Stars vs Connecticut Sun Game Recap + Notes & Observations
July 15, 2013 § 5 Comments
Shenise Johnson shoots a layup over Tina Charles
Photo courtesy of Jessica Hill, AP
UNCASVILLE – July 14, 2013
The San Antonio Silver Stars were looking to redeem themselves after a home loss to the Mystics. The Connecticut Sun were also looking to do the same after losing their last two games. In a game in which both teams were at the bottom of their conferences, the Connecticut Sun came out on top with an 86 – 84 victory. Tina Charles, the reigning MVP finished with 20 points and 10 rebounds. Allison Hightower finished with a career high 23 points. The game featured both teams making key plays, one right after another and neither team was able to pull away until the end of the game. It however, didn’t begin that way. San Antonio was able to start off the game with an 6-0 run, followed by a 12-0 Connecticut run. The Sun were able to outscore the Stars 26-11, but the Silver Stars fought back with baskets from Jia Perkins and were only down 2 at half 34-32. In the third quarter, after the Sun scored, the Silver Stars came back and were able to regain the lead from scoring from Shameka Christon who had 5 points in the third. Yet, the Sun came back and was tied at 57 all heading into the 4th Q. In the fourth quarter, the Silver Stars relied on a balanced attack and after leading briefly in the fourth quarter, the Sun were able to hold the Stars off thanks to timely baskets from Allison Hightower and Tina Charles. The Stars had an opportunity to tie the game with 9 seconds left but Jia Perkins missed a long two at the buzzer. The Silver Stars drop to 4-10 on the season and CONN improves to 4-9. The Silver Stars will now head into Washington to face the Mystics on Tuesday.
GAME NOTES + OBSERVATIONS
- That was FUN. That is what basketball games should be like more often. Two teams battling one another, shot for shot, not knowing who will come out on top. The Silver Stars might not have many games like these this season, so enjoy them while you still can.
- The Silver Stars were never really able to get over the hump. Every time they tried to, the Sun would come back. Or they would have a turnover. etc.
- Allison Hightower is an impressive guard. I was going to write in my pre game preview about defending her as well, but since she had struggled a bit, I thought it was better to leave it alone. Clearly, that was a mistake on my part. She had a career high 23 points and scored when the Sun needed it the most.
- Tina Charles had 20 points and 10 rebounds in a night where except the first quarter and the last minutes of the 4th, she was relatively quiet. For the most part, Jayne Appel did a good job, as well as some good double + triple teams.
- The Silver Stars out rebounded the Sun 36-35. In a season in which they are dead last in the league, it’s a good sign to see it.
- SIX players were in double figures. A balanced scoring attack gives the Silver Stars a shot to win as it did in this game and they will need more of it if they want to win more games this season.
- The CONN Sun crowd was really into the game. It’s a better atmosphere when that happens and gives the game being played some life.