Game #21 Minnesota Lynx vs San Antonio Silver Stars Game Recap
August 7, 2013 § Leave a comment
Well, at least it was entertaining. The San Antonio Silver Stars lost to the Minnesota Lynx for the fourth time this season and for the first time were swept by another Western Conference opponent. The Silver Stars dropped to 7-14 on the season and below .500 at home while Minnesota wins its 10th straight game and improves to 17-3 on the season.
For more coverage of the game, here’s the official recap with highlights, photos, post game videos, etc.
My game recap is below, along with my usual notes and observations.
AUGUST 6TH 2013
The Silver Stars had played better in the last couple of weeks and had won 3 out of 5 coming into the Minnesota game. But, the Silver Stars had previously lost to the Minnesota Lynx a couple of nights ago and were handed another defeat losing by a final score of 93-80. The Minnesota Lynx were just too deadly as they shot nearly 57% from the field. Maya Moore had 26 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists while Seimone Augustus and Rebekkah Brunson added 21 and 20 points apiece. Lindsay Whalen who had been playing well for the last month had a double double with 11 points and 10 assists. The San Antonio Silver Stars were able to play the Minnesota Lynx well enough for 3 and a haf quarters before Minnesota took off and eventually won the game with ease. Danielle Adams was superb as she tried to single handly win the game for the Silver Stars. Danielle Robinson had 8 rebounds and 10 assists while Jia Perkins added 16 points. Jayne Appel was held to 3 rebounds after nearly averaging 13 a game her previous 4 games. The Silver Stars were swept by the Minnesota Lynx 4-0 and were swept for the first time by an Western Conference opponent. The Silver Stars will now try to regroup as they head into Seattle for an upcoming and rare two game matchup with the Seattle Storm. The Stars are 2-7 on the road this season.
NOTES + OBSERVATIONS
- There was no defence in this game. It was up and down, shoot 3 pointers, get layups, get fouled for 3 point plays. etc. In many ways it was entertaining game between these two teams
- The Silver Stars kept the game close for the majority of the game which was nice to see and it was much better than their previous two games against the Minnesota Lynx. In game 1 of the series, the Stars were also able to keep it close and so game 4 had a similar feel.
- The reason why Jayne Appel had 3 rebounds was because the guards and forwards were rebounding the ball instead. Maya Moore had 10 rebounds, Seimone Augustus had 7, Brunson had 6, Robinson had 8, etc. It’s hard to rebound when everyone else is grabbing the ball.
- Its the Danielles show in 2013. These two 3rd year players are really shining in a year where the Silver Stars are struggling. Danielle Robinson gets better every game and Danielle Adams is getting better with every game she starts in. It’s sort of reminding me of Danielle’s rookie year in 2011 in which she was great and named an All Star after being selected as a third round pick.
- The Lynx are good. Really good. And I’m glad that the series is over because this entire series has been a mismatch for the Stars and it clearly showed in all four games in which only 2 were competitive
- Shenise Johnson has been disappointing the last couple of games. She’s disappeared completely. The Stars need her in order to be competitive and hopefully she’s not going through that sophomore slump.
- Delisha Milton Jones should be back in action soon. I would say in a week or 2 weeks