Game #24 Phoenix Mercury vs San Antonio Silver Stars Game Day Recap
August 20, 2013 § Leave a comment
Oops. I completely forgot to do the game recap for this game on Sunday and got way too busy on Monday to do it. But, without any further delay, below is my version of the game that was played on Saturday and my usual notes & observations from the game are below that.
The San Antonio Silver Stars had lost a previously winnable game against the Seattle Storm slip away last weekend and didn’t want a repeat against the Phoenix Mercury. The Silver Stars put on their best offensive performance of the season with 88 points and 42% from the field and three point land and 90% from the FT line. Danielle Adams who joined the 1000 point club was the leading scorer along with Danielle Robinson who also had 8 assists. Jia Perkins had 18 points and Shenise Johnson added 15. The Silver Stars struggled in the opening minutes of the game but were able to quickly adjust and led at the end of the first quarter. In the second quarter, the Silver Stars were able to be effective offensively and were beginning to run away with the game when the Phoenix Mercury began to strike back and made it a game with San Antonio on top 45-37 at halftime. The third quarter featured runs from both teams and at one point the Mercury were within striking distance at 5 but could never close the game and San Antonio was able to take advantage going into the fourth quarter. In the fourth quarter, the Silver Stars managed to keep the Mercury from stealing the game and won the game by a final score of 88-82. 10,096 people were at the AT&T Center to catch a glimpse of the historical pink court and some came for the Mercury’s Brittney Griner who was playing in her last Texas appearance this season. The Silver Stars are now .500 at home and are 2-1 in the 5 game series against Phoenix. The Silver Stars play the final two games of the series in Phoenix later this season. The Silver Stars next oppenent is Indiana who they face Wednesday on the road.
Notes + Observations
- Congrats to Cathrine Kraayeveld and Danielle Adams on reaching 1000 points and 1000 rebounds respectively! It’s an amazing accomplishment to show for what they have achieved in this league so far.
- The Silver Stars managed to neutralize Brittney Griner by double teaming her and keeping her out of her comfort zone. I felt that Jayne Appel did a reasonable job of defending her as Griner was only limited to 6 points.
- The best offensive performance of the season by the Silver Stars. They shot really well from the three point land and from the field. It was just nice to see them shooting well after many games of sub par shooting and struggling to score in other games.
- When the Silver Stars have some time off to prepare for their next opponent, they do well. When they don’t scout and prepare for their next opponent, they struggle. Time really is the essence for the Silver Stars. They play like a competitive playoff team when rested as compared to a struggling, non competitive team on either a day or no days rest.
- Shenise Johnson is officially the Silver Stars important player. When she plays well, the team wins. When she struggles, the team often struggles to find its balance. It used to be Jayne Appel, but now that she’s improving every day not only defensively, but offensively as well, she’s found her footing and can be counted or relied upon to play well in every single game, rather than one game here or two games from now, etc.
- The pink court looks weird from TV and liveaccess point of view. It probably looked nice in person but it didn’t look that aesthetically pleasing on my computer screen.
- Chelsea Poppens played in this game. I have no thoughts on her yet because it’s just too early and considering this is my first time watching her play, she didn’t play enough to make an impression as to what kind of player she will be.
- There’s just only 11 games left this season. The Stars are 2 games behind the fourth place Seattle Storm and will play them this week. They will need both victories against the Storm other wise Seattle will make the playoffs.